Carrying the weight of the Great Depression, the 1930’s was a time that makeup and hair became much more refined. Mainly women just couldn’t spend money on extras such as lipstick when every penny was pinched! Even with Max Factor coming on strong in the 1930’s it was still a time to be more reserved.
Again this week I’m linking up with some crazy cool bloggers in showcasing The Age of Adaline movie! Specifically, we are ALL ABOUT trying out some chic looks from this film. Us bloggers found some fabulous inspiration from the new movie, The Age of Adaline, and want to share it with you.
My theme throughout every-single-one of these decade posts? Give that decade (1930’s today) a modern touch. A mix between the 1930’s and 2015. I hope you like it!
Loving how this movie takes us through the decades and through all of those iconic looks. How fun to recreate some of these looks with a touch of today, right? Let’s try out some 1930’s inspired makeup today!
Gone is the bolder eye from the 1920’s and it is replaced with a lighter tone. Say goodbye to eyebrows – they become crazy thin! In fact, some ladies would pluck out ALL of their brows and just paint in a thin line every morning! #Yikes! And here is when that trendy “contouring” came! No, the Kardashians did NOT invent this makeup illusion…its been here for decades! Sorry, dolls.
Want to wear that 1930’s look with a 2015 vibe?
1. Moisturize: Add your fave moisturizer to get things going… I mean, glowing!
2. Conceal: Add a light concealer around the bone structure of the face… (here is where we start our simple non-Kardashian contouring process – no dark contours, only light)
3. Golden Glow: Add a touch of shimmer to your cheeks along with a boost of blush.
4. Lovely Lids: After priming your eyelids, apply a skin-toned, shimmery shade to your lids.
5. Liner: Line your top eyelids (only) with a nice, rich shade of a liquid liner.
6. More Mascara!: Add a few simple coats of mascara to just your lower lids. Really.
7. Color time!: Add a rich shade of blue, green or purple just on the outer parts of your lid and blend-blend-blend. Going for a subtly, soft bold.
8. Bye-Bye Brows: Almost gone… but still a THING rounded arch to your eyebrows. To create this effect, add tattoo concealer over your brows, then draw in that THIN rounded arch. Honestly, this step is really hard to accomplish…but if you cant hide your brows, just shape them with a rounded upside down “U” shape.
9. Lips: Continue to rock that red or raspberry color, but for this decade don’t over-emphasize your cupids bow. Think more horizontal line vs. a deep accent…but still keep the lips full and fab!
Here is my FINAL look…
a 1930’s (subtle makeup) inspired look with a 2015 vibe.
What do you think?
Time to Shop… a few suggestions to create your look!
Makeup Through the Decades is a linkup inspired by Blake Lively’s movie, The Age of Adaline. We will be discussing one decade every Thursday. We will start with the 1920’s and end with 2015. It will last about 10 weeks. Want to join us? Click this and enter your info!