What it’s REALLY like going to New York Fashion Week… 🚕Let me take you along on my typical day. While I attended Fashion Week this fall, it wasn’t a scene straight out of Sex & the City, but it was equally as glam. What’s great about the event is that no one experiences it in exactly the same way. At all. But everyone has similar threads in how they went about their time in NYC and that’s what makes it SUCH a special (and exhausting!) time.
🖤 Wake Up…🖤
Forget those images on the gram of influencers enjoying a lavish room-service breakfast on their spacious bed as they oh-so-gently wake up to start their day (which yes, I am jealous about). I shared a tiny NY hotel room with 3 other local bloggers/friends. Alarms went off, most days, anywhere between 4am and 6am to allow 4 bloggers to get ready with 1 bathroom. Picture it… because I’m not posting a photo of the craziness!
🖤Brunches of Fun!🖤
Brunch? Yes, I’ll be there in a prosecco! Because during NYFW, we brunch.
- The Sis Kiss brunch was a maj highlight of the trip. If you’re not familiar with The Sis Kiss jewelry and accessories, omg – visit her site right now (if not sooner!)
- Bonus: the owner is a fellow Cleveland chick, so of course I have mad ❤️ for her and her artistic talent!
Do you know what rhymes with New York Fashion Week? Shopping. No brainer that we shopped around in the city!
- Boutique events (loved me the Gorjana event & might have left with new jewelry!)
- Special NYFW pop-up shops from SheIn and ShopBop
- Evening shopping parties like the Style Collective‘s Ann Taylor event.
At most of these events, we were spoiled with fancy-schmancy cookies, champagne, and other yummies to keep our energy up as we shopped!
Annie Spano, the CEO of the organization, is ALWAYS willing to help the members of the Style Collective group. I know because she’s Facetime’d with me many times when I needed advice. She’s THE sweetest. And smartest. So you should join The Style Collective.
Oh right… the shows. Yes, we attended fashion shows at New York Fashion Week.
Before the show(s) begin, and you’re at your seat its AMAZING people watching… see what I mean?
“How do you go to the shows? Do you just show up?” No.
- To be invited to the shows you need to request an invitation from the brand or PR agency representing the brand.
- In your request you briefly share your deets/stats about you as a blogger.
- Request an invitation by being a member of GPS Radar or using contacts from your previous work with brands on your blog.
- But – just because you request an invite doesn’t mean you get to go to the party.
- Usually, your acceptance invites come only a few days before a show (or even the day of!).
- Some days you are back-to-back-to-back attending shows, other days it’s crickets.
“What happens when you attend a show?”
- Wait in line. Schedule your Uber early, because you could end up waiting in lines that take an hour … or the wait could be 20 minutes.
- Have your e-ticket ready to be scanned once you enter the show.
- Be pre-assigned a seat or be “standing room” – but the good news is that usually, all “standing room” tickets get a seat immediately before the show begins. Just gotta hustle to grab an empty seat!
- Fashionably late? Expect the show to begin 30 minutes (or more) after the designated start time.
🖤What to Wear?🖤
Sharing what I wore to NYFW in next week’s post… so stick around to see how I added my personal bit of “glam” to my outfits.