Finding balance in every day is “the new black.” Self-care Sundays will transition from a fancy day at the spa with the girls to something much more manageable that we will think about (and practice) daily. And with the hustle of the holidays combined with gloomier weather, you might be experiencing Seasonal Affective Disorder too.
Photo by Max van den Oetelaar
Maybe, just maybe, we feel a daily dose of stress because we don’t take care of it. Anyone else feel like the remedy to stress and anxiety is to get a mani/pedi or have a movie marathon or a glass of wine or anything that is in the “treat yo’self” category? But how often do we have the time to do these things? Definitely not daily. Seasonal Affective Disorder (ironically the acronym is SAD) is real. It’s not just “winter blues.” Remember THIS post that shared a few chic self-care ideas to do today? Or THIS post about making a DIY self-care kit for a friend?
Symptoms of SAD: Take a peek at the list below… are you experiencing any of these on the regular?
- low energy
- difficulty concentrating
- trouble sleeping
- appetite changes
- loss in interest of activities you used to love
*If you are experiencing a high degree of the symptoms above, speak to a doctor. Seeking professional help is critical to managing your symptoms.
Solution: Sometimes trying out a few quick & simple ideas can boost your mood. Instead of bottling up all that stress for a “special occasion”, we need to think about managing it differently than we did before. We need to do a “daily dose of positivity” to conquer all the ick.
Ideas: One size does not fit all for what will alleviate your burnout. But what everyone will have in common is finding 10 minutes each and every day dedicated to their personal wellness.
- Light Therapy: helps you fight fatigue, regain focus, and improve your mood
- Happy Light
- Combats the effects of season changes (reduced sunlight in the fall & winter are a major contributor to how we feel...)
- A powerful light gently reminds your body to recalibrate and stabilize, so you can be less tired and more focused.
- THIS Verilux light lets you adjust color from daylight to warm white, choose from 4 brightness levels, & use a countdown timer. Just plug it in!
- Happy Light
- Social Media “detox”
- Unplug and take a mindful break from all of the Like-ing.
- Infrared Sauna Treatment: all 3 infrared wavelengths in 1 infrared sauna to detox, improve relaxation and more.
- Art Therapy: Colorfully creative ways to relax…
- Mood Booster playlists
- Shake your grooooooove thang by creating a few different types of playlists on Spotify to play depending on what vibe you’re craving. Might be disco, 80’s, spa, concerts you’ve been to or whatever!
- Ylang Ylang: Becoming increasingly popular, THIS scent creates a calming effect. THIS lotion is perfect for a quick, on-the-go way to breathe in some tranquility.
- Weighted Blankets: The calming effect of THESE blankets is rumored to help you sleep more soundly and reduce anxiety.
When in doubt, chill out.
You are in charge of how you feel, so choose happiness for today. Try to slow down, smile and enjoy the moment.