True story. I didn’t start drinking coffee until I was in grad school. The first taste of coffee at a quaint, local coffee shop with some flavorful mocha in my caffeinated mixture made it oh…so….sweet. I was hooked.
Bad for us?
Are you an adult? Then the answer is no. Coffee is NOT bad for us. (disclaimer… if you are under the age of 18 back away from the coffee. I repeat, please back away.) Yet, I overhear snippets from news reports, friends, or magazines saying very mean things about coffee. No bueno. Harmful. Drink tea instead. Sorry tea drinkers, but I’m a coffee chick.
Here’s why I love coffee and you should too…
1. Burn it! Caffeine can boost your metabolic rate by as much as 11%! That means that it can increase your fat burning.
2. Work it! Drinking a cup of coffee an hour before working out will increase your performance. Why is this? Because caffeine increases Epinephrine levels in your blood and this is what boosts your workout!
3. Boost it! Coffee is loaded with a few serious nutrients, such as Niacin, Riboflavin, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, and Magnesium which all are rock stars for your body.
4. Lower it! Did you know that you have a lesser chance of getting Type 2 Diabetes just by drinking coffee? You have a 23-50% LOWER risk of getting this disease just by enjoying that cup-O-joe in the morning.
5. Increase it! Increase that smile! People who drink 4 or more cups a day are shown to be happier.
It’s coffee-o’clock! Be smart about the amount of coffee you drink. Try to skip those mocha-latte-frappa-chocolate mixtures. Save those for special times. Best bet? Drink black coffee and add healthy options if needed, such as skim milk or Stevia.
What is your FAVORITE coffee drink and where do you love to go out and get it?