Oooooh my GOURD – I love fall! 🧡And here in Cleveland after MANY 90′ temps (even in October) our summer is finally ch-ch-ch-ch-changing into the fall season. Crisp air, turning leaves, and an opportunity to finally wear a chunky sweater. Also, decorating the front porch with fall decor is a new obsession of mine and of many others. Because, pumpkins. But before we add 100 pumpkins to the front steps let’s think about a few foundational ways to 🎀”glam” 🎀up your fall decor to keep it in your style but a little more elevated.
🧡Give ’em PUMPKIN to Talk About!🧡
Team Pumpkin or Team Gourd? Because you need to go BIG or GOURD home, apparently. Pumpkins are a no-brainer for the front porch, especially on the steps. Here are a few ways to use pumpkins as chic decor. #SquashGoals
- Stack your steps with pumpkins – just be sure guests (and you) have enough room to walk up to your door without tripping on your pumpkin-palooza.
- Mix and match… or monochromatic? Will you mix orange pumpkins with white ones with pink-ish gourds? Or will you stick with all orange or all white pumpkins?
- Layer pumpkins by stacking some on a pile of hay or an apple crate!
- Light up your pumpkins by carving and adding battery/LED tea lights OR buy a decorative luminary pumpkin to use year after year!
- Toss a handful of decorative plush pumpkins (how chic are these PINK ones?!) in a rustic wire basket!
🧡A SIGN of the Times…🧡
Farmhouse decor is always “WELCOME” (wink) at my house! Yes, the large signs are a thing. And they are owning their new decor status in a chic way. If you’re wondering what kind of sign to get, where to put it, how to style it or glam it up a bit – follow these tips:
- Lean a WELCOME sign next to your door or snuggled in the corner.
- Add a few decorative items to partner with the sign, such as an outdoor lantern, pumpkins or greenery.
- Commitment issues with 1 type of sign? Get a chalkboard easel to change up your message daily, weekly or seasonally!
- Perch it against a wall or secure it on the wall.
- Use an adjustable wreath stand to hang a smaller horizontal sign
🧡Mums the Word!🧡
The fall flower with the most decor power has GOT to be mums. Bright, bold, and beautiful plants that are bursting with color! If you don’t have a few mums on your front porch yet I’m curious what you are waiting for.
- Large urns for your mums are an easy way to upgrade the vibe of the mums.
- Be bold with colorful mums – especially if you have a white-colored house. The blooms will really pop against that backdrop.
- Use gold trash cans for a “glam” way to upgrade your plant stands!
🧡But First, Keep it Cozy🧡
Think s’mores and fall fire pits. Now transfer that outdoor vibe to your front porch in a soft, welcoming, and cozy way.
- Toss some outdoor throw pillows to your seating.
- Already have pillows and blankets on your porch? Time to trade those summery ones out for ones that feel more fall-like.
- Add a wool or chunky blanket over a chair for staying warm when the temps drop.
- Toss in some floor pillows for your dog or to just add to the cozy vibe!
- Layer the welcome mats with a larger rug, like THIS one. Keeps your main mat in place while adding that extra bit of hospitality right before guests enter your home.
🧡Most Wanted Wreaths🧡
Probs the easiest way to upgrade your front porch is with a wreath. Just hang it on the door and all of a sudden you have achieved an elevated look. Simple.
- Celebrate the season with fall colors in your wreath.
- Dried florals create all those farmhouse feels but in a more chic way.
- Keep it simple (but still in season) with a sophisticated monochromatic option.
- Peel a sticker onto your front door (easily removable, by the way!) to enhance your wreath! How fabulous is THIS “Hello” sticker?