You go, girl. Be strong. Go get ’em. Keep that head up. You own this. Welp, sometimes its not as easy as it sounds to be confident. Sometimes it’s quite a battle between our minds and our hearts and our vision. Sometimes it is just a matter of prioritizing those three areas and going with the one that feels right in that moment.
But here’s the thing. There are a few myths to being confident you should know.
1. Strike a Pose: Think you can’t fake being confident? You’re wrong. Know the secret? Body language. Simply by adjusting your body language (even if you still have doubts about how confident you are in that situation) you will actually gain confidence. Try it! Every day, for a few minutes, strike a confident pose. 😉
2. Go BIG or Go Home!: Confident people are “all in”.. risk it all… Nope. Confident people are not impulsive or irrational. Instead, confident people are aware of what are “risks” to them and take the right steps in the right order to take those risks. Meaning…if public speaking scares you, you start off first talking to a few strangers. Then you talk to a group at school or work. Then you volunteer to lead a group. Then you speak publicly. You don’t dive into the deep end for step one.
3. Cool as a Cucumber: Confident people have zero insecurities. Hmmm… Appearing confident means you can be calm and cool WITH you insecurities. You can acknowledge your weaknesses or challenges, but you don’t need to be weak about them. Identifying areas to work on in its own way shows self-confidence. It shows self-awareness, and that is strong.
4. Check ME out: Confident people are smug/arrogant/cocky. Well… not really. Check again. Confident people are actually the ones who DON’T need praise and attention and reassurance from others. Confident people are cool with hanging back…because they know what’s up.
5. Confident Chatty Cathy: Think you need to be the loudest in the room or the most chatty to appear the most confident? Wrong-O. Choose your words… say them with conviction…stand strong. What do they say about a person of few words?
And if you just need a quick boost… how about playing some of your favorite workout tunes? I know it’s simple, but it works.
How do YOU show confidence? Pretty please share your tip/trick in the comments below!
Shotgun & Seashells says
These are great! Love them
Great myth busting and validation. Thanks for sharing!
yay! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
This was a wonderful read! The first one reminded me of Grey’s Anatomy last week, don’t know if you are a fan but the Dr. did a super woman pose before the big surgery… Great Great Post!
LOVE that super woman pose…. totally makes a difference (striking a pose type of thing)…
Lindsay Carreiro says
I completely lack confidence a lot. Tomorrow I have an interview and that’s what I’m really nervous about not coming off as confident even though I know I can do a really good job. The struggle is real!
I hope your interview went really well! Did you strike some poses to get your confidence level up? 🙂
Nav Brar says
Totally agree..wish I got this advice a few years ago..but these are the lessons I learned on the way to becoming confident!
I also wish I learned this years ago… but better late than never. 🙂
Such a good post. I completely agree that just standing a bit taller can help you feel more confident!
yes – any little thing can make a big difference!! 🙂
I love this post. They are so spot on! Great, fun read 🙂
Erica @ Coming Up Roses says
This is an AWESOME post, Karen! All so so true. Confident people become confident from hard work, pushing through insecurities just like everyone else and just rising to occasions. We all have uphill battles sometimes, but it’s what we do during and after them that ends up determining our confidence thereafter.
Great advice!!! Theres a fine line between confidence and cockiness that many people seem to miss. All great things to remember!
xoxo, Elena Michelle
Great tips! The music thing always gets me in the mood!
To Hell In A Handbag